Thursday, August 13, 2009

Seriously?

I think it's funny how over time, what was once a very serious matter becomes trivial; I've also found as the older I climb the latter in age matters that seemed to exist as a default have birthed a new reality. Allow me to explain....

Sports. At ten years old a foam navy blue Nationwide sponsored hat, along with long white socks with a blue stripe, navy blue pants, a v-neck Nationwide shirt, and black nike cleats were a big deal. Dixie Youth Baseball games were serious. Chatter on first base, or pitching from the mound, nearly every breath taking was strictly monitored. Every game meant the world and practically consumed the entire day's mental capacity. Thinking back, it was as if the smallest action of disobedience, human error, or lack of effort in any form could be fatal to the team and even myself. I can remember how all of us (teammates) had to hold back the tears if we so much as struck out or made an error; I mean holding back the tears at a literal level. Those games were serious, and everybody new it. Kirk Stevens was the classic threatening coach who credited you with a lap for anything you did right or wrong. Famed "politics" existed during actual drafts of players. When I think about it, the structure of the game was so serious, it's a wonder we didn't get paychecks.

Now I look at myself as a 24-year-old left center fielder playing for a church league softball team. The structure is definately organized but errors are certain, Strike outs always happen, and the majority of the teams are out of shape and rarely hold practices. The games are unquestionably less than serious, but arguably much more fun than the games as a ten-year-old. Now I find myself stepping into the batter's box and yelling out to the crowd "hey mom!" or "I'm swinging for the fence this time," and not only is it accpetable, things like that are encouraged.

I used to think turning on a light switch yields to seeing lights go on in a house, that idea changed when I rolled down to the D.R. I used to think turning on the tv automatically meant you could find ESPN, that idea changed when I moved into my first apartment and could hardly afford to pay attention, and rarely did. Little things like asking mom to pick up fruit roll-ups or wondering why in the world she wouldn't go somewhere to make the brakes stop squealing. Now-a-days I understand the why's and the simple pleasures of life have turned to large luxuries.

Time changes things.

6 comments:

kim e said...

You always make me smile with your stories. I am glad you are enjoying the not so serious side of a little of life. Let me know when the games are and I will try and make one and look forward to the "Hey Mom"!

Jean said...

Oh Jacob, I always love your stories. Glad you can find things to laugh about all the time! It is great!

will said...

i agree with you. (except for the tear drawing baseball element.)

State of Grace said...

COB!! I will be at your games...don't DOUBT it!
and you should throw in a 'hey Naomi!' to me to make it interesting! haha

Libbi said...

just think of how trivial the stuff you stress over now will seem in fifteen years...I always loved watching you, your brothers, and cousins play ball. Tell us when and where and we'll come again to shout, "GO JAKE!"

Beth & Rob Bailey said...

Where do y'all play? I'm thinking of bringing Seth out to see you and Jared sometime once we move. Seth wants to sign up for something this fall...we'll see if we have the money for it (since I have to sign up the same week we close)..."money money money".