Thursday, February 19, 2009

You said it, Douglas...

If you can't be a pine on the top of the hill,
Be a scrub in the valley-but be
The best little scrub by the side of the rill;
Be a bush if you can't be a tree.

If you can't be a bush be a bit of the grass,
And some highway happier make;
If you can't be a muskie then just be a bass-
But the liveliest bass in the lake!

We can't all be captains, we've got to be crew,
There's something for all of us here,
There's big work to do, and there's lesser to do,
And the task you must do is the near.

If you can't be a highway then just be a trail,
If you can't be the sun be a star;
It isn't by size that you win or you fail-
Be the best of whatever you are!

I absolutely love this poem. for the last several weeks at work my co-workers played 'the biggest loser' for weight loss, so i joined in on the fun, only i was trying to gain weight. well, everyone lost weight, even me. so i lost. i came in dead last, b/c i went in the wrong direction! so i'm no good at gaining weight, and that's alright with me. i like to think i'm the best a being little, i don't know too many other people who can fit through key holes, blow away in a healthy wind, and can disappear by turning sideways. so what are you best at?

2 comments:

kim e said...

Since I have been working on it for the past 27 years...I will say being a Mom.

Grandma Ard said...

I love the poem too! And I love you! granny