Monday, March 2, 2009

take a step back... and smile

Yesterday was one of those days i wish i could put in a jar and pull back out the next time the clouds settle in and decide to rain on me. I sat down this morning and realized my life made sense and that was successful. yesterday i had the opportunity to participate in three blessings, and two setting apart's for callings. interestingly, i think that's a record, the laying on of hands 5 times in one day. i've been doing some soul searching lately and trying to figure out why i'm here, we all have a collective, obvious, universal purpose, but i believe we have specific purposes too. so i studied it out til i figured part of mine out. some of us are specifically here to set examples, others to provide marvelous works, some to invent, others to endure through the worst of times, some to walk right into great things and make them greater. part of the reason i'm here is simple, i'm here for someone else. i find myself happiest when i'm doing something for someone else. yesterday i got to be a friend, a leader, a brother, and God's instrument all in 24 hours. i ended the night giving a friend some advice, and i went to sleep happy. it didn't feel like one of those days where nothing ever stopped, it felt like one of those days where things kept happening. i've decided every morning i can wake up and think, "i'm still all empty inside," or i can wake up and say, "looks like there's a lot of room to fill me up today." it's all about our approach. when i'm there for someone else, i forget me, and trust me thinking much about my own disasters is enough to drive us all crazy. so i think others, and it works for me. so this morning as i thought of the burdens, troubles, struggles, and failures that surround my life, i simply took a step back - and smiled. what makes you smile?

3 comments:

Jean said...

Jacob...I loved this post! It is how I always try to view life! When I am struggling with the challenges in my life, if I get up and do something for someone else, then I always feel better and the gray skies leave. I'm glad to see you have the same experiences! You are definitely a force for good in this world!

kim e said...

What makes me smile? My children fiquring out all the important things in life! You have always been the warm sunshine in my life.
I am so glad Heavenly Father sent me a tiny little brown eyed boy 23 years ago with lots of energy and smiles for everyone!

DeeDee said...

THOUGHTS OF YOU MAKE ME SMILE!